|Title: ||Uganda Co. Ltd. Part of cotton ginnery|
|Contributors: ||Fisher, Alfred Hugh 1867-1945|
Great Britain. Colonial Office. Visual Instruction Committee
|Issue Date: ||5-Nov-2004|
|Publisher: ||Royal Commonwealth Society Library. Cambridge University Library. University of Cambridge.|
|Description: ||145 x 98 mm. A view looking along a cotton ginning plant with Ugandans at work at the machines which separate the cotton from the seeds. Cotton was first introduced into Uganda by K. Borup, an industrial missionary, who in 1903 distributed 62 bags of cotton seeds for planting. The Uganda Cotton Company, with Borup as manager, was founded in 1904. By the time of the Uganda Agricultural Exhibition in 1908 cotton output was estimated by the Governor to be worth UKP50,000 and was the major exhibit. By the time Sir Albert Cook wrote 'Uganda Memories' cotton output was second only to India in the Empire and it maintained this position until recent years.|
|Appears in Collections:||Royal Commonwealth Society Photograph Project|
This item has been accessed 880 times.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.